Eskimo Ice Auger Review
Product: Eskimo Sting Ray 33cc w/ 8” Quantum Gas Auger Price: $263.99 Cheapest Place to buy: Amazon.com Guarantee: 5 year Warranty My Rating: 9.7 out of 10
Like many of you anglers out there I hate it when I don’t have a quality auger to work with. It can turn a fun weekend of fishing into a nightmare.
Trying constantly to tear through the ice with what seems like a dull butter knife. This constant forcing the auger to cut through uses a ton of fuel and also your own energy. By the time you get through the ice, you are too tired to fish.
I know you might say why not get the blade sharpened? After so many times of sharpening and the cost to get that done, it’s just not worth it. Ice augers only last so long and as many ice holes I cut in a year it doesn’t take long. Especially if I’m using a cheap off brand of an auger.
If you go through what I just explained this Eskimo ice auger review might be for you. Eskimo is a time-tested quality brand of ice augers and ice fishing equipment of all kinds. Today I will be reviewing just one of their products…
First off for the price you’re paying for this ice auger you are getting a darn good deal. At under $300 right out of the box, you can’t complain. The quality is impeccable compared to some of its competitors. The Sting Ray has all the features you would want in an ice auger.
This thing is lightweight but tough and durable cutting thru 30″ of ice with no problem. It has a little trouble starting at around -20 Fahrenheit. It could depend on if your gas is old you will have a harder time starting the Sting Ray. To remedy that I make sure I have clean gas every time I go out ice fishing then it should start with not too many issues in the cold. If it’s that cold I either don’t go out ice fishing or I have my holes already drilled and I throw tip-ups in them. Then I just watch the tip-ups from my ice shack! I don’t mind the cold but not that cold. I must be getting old lol.
Eskimo Ice Auger Review Features
Here are some quality features that come on The Sting Ray 33cc Ice Auger:
- Blades – This Eskimo ice auger comes Quantum blades that can be replaced if needed, These blades cut through ice like butter. They are strong and you can rely on them. Nothing worse than cheap crappy auger blades. Re-drilling holes are a snap with the center ring on this auger.
- Engine – The quantum blades are powered by great running 33cc 2 cycle Viper Engine that has starting power in very cold weather but like I said you will run into a little trouble starting it when you get to around -20 to -30 Fahrenheit. Having clean gas could fix this issue and is more than likely the cause of it not wanting to start in these temperatures. They use sealed ball bearings in their transmission, not bushings! Eskimo is the only auger company using sealed ball bearings in their transmissions!
- Mitten-grip recoil – so that you can start the engines with your gloves.
- Muffler guard – so you don’t get burnt
- Primer Button makes it easy to start.
- Handles – The foam grip handlebars provide for less vibration and angle upwards for better control.
- Blade Protector – Comes with a protective hard plastic cover that adjusts with a rubber strap.
The Eskimo Sting Ray 33cc w/ 8” Quantum Gas Auger only weighs 28lbs. It’s easy to haul around and carry around when you have a ton of holes to cut. You will be having people around wanting you to drill their holes for them because they see how quick and easy your auger is cutting.
This has a 2 stroke motor and uses a 50:1 gasoline to oil ratio.
Dimensions of the product are 50″ high x 50″ long x 22″ wide. Nice compact but tough ice auger. This ice auger also comes with a 5-year warranty. I don’t know the specifics of the warranty to you would want to check that out for yourself.
The Choice Is Yours
In this Eskimo Ice Auger Review, I have shown you all the features and specifics that this ice auger has to offer. In my opinion, this is an excellent ice auger. It’s tough and durable and at only 28lbs it’s lightweight and easy to carry around and maneuver. Quiet running compared to many augers out there. The blades on this thing are sharp right out of the box. They are strong and reliable. With a center ring that keeps the blade from skipping around on the ice and making re-drilling holes easy as pie.
A 33cc 2 stroke Viper engines with sealed ball bearings in the transmission. And starts in cold weather with only 2 or 3 pulls! The only con to the Eskimo Sting Ray 33cc w/ 8” Quantum Gas Auger that I could see is the trouble starting at -20 to -30 Fahrenheit. I heard that from only one person so I think if you have fresh gas in it and have mixed the gas to oil ratio right this shouldn’t be a problem.
The price is right at only $263.99 and shipping is free if you have an Amazon Prime account! A 5-year Warranty is in itself a top feature of the auger.
I hope you got some useful information out of this Eskimo Ice Auger Review. If you have questions about this product or about anything that has to do with fishing please leave a comment below and I will answer your questions the best I can.
Happy ice fishing,